Friday, April 14, 2006

Worthless Tree

     There was a tree in a far away place, deep inside a forest, hidden from civilization that bears only one fruit once in a thousand years. Nobody has found it since then until one day…
     My name is Ezi. Like others who have come and heard the words, I became baptized and was given a mission that only the Kingdom and I know its purpose. Life has never been easy, in fact, it became worse. My father left my family when I was very young and my mother just died recently of cancer because she was working in a factory that breaks all environmental rules. Times were hard for us but my mother had no choice. Now that I am able and mature, I left my home never to look back. It’s something my heart bleeds to do, or I may never rest. It was a journey I am able to take risks, for I have nothing here, nothing. Like an empty gong that echoes into space. Nothing.
     Armed with just a knapsack and some clothes, I embarked to discover treasures of wisdom. I am not smart; I can barely read or write. But, what I have is an opened heart gladly inviting, and cherishing.
     After years of exploration, I came to a point that I could never go on anymore. What the world brought to me is evil and corrupt, full of lies and deceit. Because man cannot live without bread, life has been fierce. Survival has become the mantra, a key to immortality. Like lions that preys on lambs waiting to be slaughtered.
     I found what I hoped not to be found. At last, despair gripped me. It was something that I couldn’t accept, for what I received is just unimportant; there is no hope. At last, despair gripped me.
     Inside a dark room, I could hear the dripping of water. It is playing a tune repeatedly, reminding me of things so absurdly trivial. And yet, even with that sound, I came to know its true meaning. Life is just like that; going through cycles: around and around it goes, like a wheel turning in a circus of sorts. Then suddenly, out on nowhere, it stopped. There is only silence, in a dark and lonely room.
     This despair has been going for weeks then months. I went out and sat down on the street, looking up and cried, “Where is life?” I came home in my small apartment and slept, tired of waiting, tired of watching the world through my eyes.
     One day, I was strolling down the same street, a woman came to me and handed me an envelope saying: “If you could spare me some money for my education. Thank you.” I closed my eyes, and reached inside my pocket and gave what is left of me. I thought that what money is for after I die? I gave back the envelope and the woman smiled and gave me a worn out paper. “What’s this?” I asked. “Just read it,” she replied and went on her way. I looked at it and wondered. It was neatly folded, quite old because of its brownish color. I never tucked it in my pocket; I held it until I reached home.
     I sat down on my bed, turned on the bulb and opened the paper. There I saw what I never expected. It is a map with careful directions. It has drawings and numbers I could only understand after years of my traveling. I said to myself, “I got to go there.” I concluded with enthusiasm and mystery. For this will be my last.
     The tree is small a foot taller than me; I can’t find anything special. I sat down and looked at it and thought I wasted my time for nothing. It was getting dark so I put up my tent and slept under that tree.
     A sudden bump hit me on the head. “What the…” I woke up and went out and saw it was a beautiful day. I turned around to look at what hit me. Beside the tent I saw this odd looking fruit. I looked up and saw that it came from the tree. I took a sniff and shook it and listened and heard something inside it. I carefully removed the skin and saw a shiny looking rock with the size of a coin. I hurriedly went to the village and a jeweler exclaimed and told me, “I have never seen a real diamond like this!”

“The stone which the builders rejected as worthless turned out to be the most important of all. This was done by the Lord; what a wonderful sight it is!” Mark 12:10-11

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home