Thursday, February 17, 2005

Lost Treasure

This is the start of his wonder years when he learns about small things like how to play basketball, save money, or ride a bicycle. Today, I taught him some small rules to live by when having adventure with his small bike. The funny thing was the bike he’s using came from me when I was still his age. That bike sure does come a long way! Ah, memories… When I saw him yesterday riding the bicycle, maybe I thought, I’m going to teach him some valuable lessons. So, I went to our storeroom, where we put our antique junk, and old wardrobes complete with cobwebs, and saw this dusty, rusty, old bike hanging at the ceiling. I rattled it from its place, and brought it down, polished it a little, inflated its tires, for another age old adventure awaits us. Actually, this was my sister’s bike, back in the old days. I remembered the time when the three of us, my two close friends and I, launched a full day travel around the world. Well, that’s how it looks when we were still small because for us, it’s still a small world. Sadly, one of my friends, who is younger than I, passed away just last year. I was heart-broken. After he and his family left our neighborhood, we never saw each other again and parted ways, we were the best pals, and it’s like a part of my childhood was washed away by the sea. Today, seeing that bike again brought back those precious moments that I thought was forgotten. To remember and to share those snapshots in my mind to my nephew was a rebirth that once was lost, but now was found. Every time I hear the laughter of children outside, I hear the first chapters of my life inside. But, like a dead tree, a new leaf has sprung in this place called Earth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home