Sunday, September 04, 2005

MojoFly Now-Concert

Saturday, September 03, 2005


It was the day before yesterday, and I was thinking whether to go or not to go to the concert. It was years since I saw a gig outside of my studio. My expectations were high since I know that this lady has already been in my studio once and knows she sings well, but a major concert like this, let’s see.

No one bought the invite I was trying to sell; a P250 worth of discount just for a hundred. Quite a bargain I thought. But, alas, none replied, and so I am moved to decide to go since that was the deal.

The venue was in Greenhills Shopping Center, specifically at the Music Museum, and that is a long way off north. It’s like pilgrimage of sorts. I’m not really familiar with the place, although I’ve been there before, but taking the car is a lot more hassle and our good government urges us folks to save fuel. So, commute.

When I somehow got there, I learned that I was the first fan to arrive. And yes, I’m the first person to get a ticket. Even got to mingle with the staff there, and joked around wondering if I could get a freebie or another discount. Of course as salespeople, they have to sell the most expensive seat first, so they offered me the best seat in town. Although I opt for a seat ON stage, but they will charge extra and might cut off my leg for that, therefore I settled somewhere at the lower right.

After waiting at the lounge for an hour, I went in and took some pictures of the lighting effects going on, on the stage. It’s 8:30, and I thought the show is about to start. Then I waited another 30 minutes, but still it’s still dark. At 9:10, people started to arrive at last. Always late again.

At 9:15, the announcer started saying, “Ladies and Gentlemen, please turn off your cellphones…” After 5 minutes or so, the lights dimmed and the people quieted, and the announcer said, “Ladies and Gentlemen, PLEASE turn off your cellphone…” Only here in this country.

As I noticed, the stage is not roomy and where’s the drum set anyway? At 9:20, the machines spewed some smoke, the drum rolled and whalla, the supposed fixed wall opened and the platform slid out with the whole band playing “Turn” or is it “Thank you?” Anyway, they got out with a loud bang! The lights are getting crazy and the crowd was just filled with positive energy and astonishment that this band can really perform well.

I don’t know about the crowd, but there were some instances that Lougee, the lead vocalist and composer, spewed some funny comments trying to make the show more fun. For example, Ricci, the bassist, told the audience that the sound people must have given Ardie, the lead guitarist, a mic so he could speak, and Lougee blurted out, “Kanina may mic stand dyan eh!” Another instance when she asked, “Sino meron nang album namin?” Some people raised their hands. Then she continued, “Ah, kaya kayo nandito kasi may free album sa ticket!” (hehe).

Ricci, you could tell, is more experienced, and the veteran among the group. Also, a composer, he sang a new material, and it’s good music. He is quite a performer, for he has face expression and moves that can really rock!

Ali, on the other hand, is a year old. New to the music scene, but can pack a punch or two. They even arranged one song where he can do some drum rolling solo. Only that at one point the drums overshadowed the cello and violins upstairs.

Overall, the show was great (and Lougee too! And the dress). Not really perfection, but great. We even saw the world premiere of their latest music video “Tumatakbo.” The video was fabulous! Just see it; I don’t want to spoil the fun.

If you want to see some pictures of the concert, just go to www.soundchemistry.com and click on the The Fireplace link.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home